Advertising

The Sound of Garuda: Mixed By Gareth Emery

Giuseppe Ottaviani Interview


We chat to Giuseppe Ottaviani about not actually being a DJ,
his brand new GO ON AIR Compilation and Barbecues.

Q:
 Giuseppe Ottaviani is a name that’s been synonymous with high quality dance music for a very long time, tell us a bit about yourself from before you became the DJ/Producer we all know and love…? 

A:
Well it’s quite a long story but just in few words I’ve been involved in music since a very tender age, I studied piano for over 7 years and around 14 years old I became a dj playing around my area and having already my own radio show. Later I started to create my own music and finally I made Dreamland, the track that changed my life. I’ve got signed on Paul van Dyk’s label Vandit in 2001, my starting point as professional musician and producer, and since then I’ve been part of the family that allowed me to develop my career and actually to write this interview now 

Q: Italy has provided us with some of the biggest names in Dance Music, people like yourself, Manuel Le Saux, 7skies, Mauro Picotto and Benny Benassi just to name a few… and much earlier than that, Italy has been pioneering Dance Music, with groups like Cappella in the early 90’s and even earlier than that the original father of Disco, Mr Giorgio Moroder… how did Dance music cross your path, and what made you decide to make it such a big part of your life… 

A:
Music has always been a big part of my life, classical music at the beginning, EDM then. I used to be a huge fan of Mauro Picotto and all the Italian 90’s groups as well and that was the time when I decided to move to dance music. Then I started to look around for more music and I fell in love with what the rest of the Europe was calling Trance. Paul van Dyk became my favorite artist and the biggest inspiration for my own music…..i guess you can hear a little bit of it. 

Q:
You’ve just released an epic compilation called “Go On Air”, which shares a name with your show on afterhours.fm, tell us a bit about the compilation as well as the actual show?

A:
First thing you gotta know is that I’m not really a DJ but a producer and live act instead and I usually play my own music only but the thing is, there is so much good music around and I wanted to make my own selection and share it through a radio with my audience. Here’s the idea of a monthly radio show and afterhours.fm was the right choice. I started the show back in February and it has got a great feedback, that’s why I decided to release the compilation just few months later. I tried to make the compilation as much special as possible working hard to get exclusive tracks on it and to make remixes and reworks plus two brand new tracks exclusively for this compilation. I’m really happy about the result and hope people enjoy it too. 

Regarding the name Go On Air, well, we played around my name and actually GO stands for Giuseppe Ottaviani, On Air is obviously related to the radio activity but also it refers to “being on air” when I travel, spending part of my life into a plane, and mixing the radio shows when I’m on it. From here also the idea of being the “captain” of an airline that “sounds great” J 

Q:
It’s no secret that Paul Van Dyk is big fan of your’s, even back in the NU-NRG days, how did the meeting with PVD come about? 

A:
The first contact with Paul happened when he wanted to include Dreamland on his compilation The Politics Of Dancing and a year later (2002) we met in Berlin for the Love Parade. The Love from Above (PvD’s own party for the Love Parade weekend) was my first gig ever and the day after I played on the Vandit truck, floating through something around 1 million people who attended the Love Parade in Berlin. What a great memories! 

Q:
 Any artists you see coming up at the moment, that you think might be the next big thing? Someone to look out for in future? 

A:
I think Arty is one of the most talented producer of these days, he’s young and he sounds big. Not always my kind of music but I have to admit he’s just great in whatever he does. 

Q:
You’ve produced an arsenal of amazing tracks and remixes, which would you consider to be your personal favourite?

A:
Hard to decide but probably my favorite one is Linking People, first of all because I love the melody and secondly because that was my first track and starting point as solo artist. Just like Dreamland made my NU NRG days, Linking People is the starting point of Giuseppe Ottaviani solo career. 

Q:
What’s playing on your Car Radio/IPOD/Mp3 player at the moment? 

A:
I’m playing Armin van Buuren’s ASOT episodes, Paul van Dyk’s Vonyc Sessions and Ferry Corsten’s Corsten’s Countdown episodes as all three of them are strongly supporting my latest tracks and remixes at the moment and I love to listen to my music being played from others DJs on radio, especially if those DJs are the biggest ones 

Q:
What do you like to do when you're not DJ’ing or Producing? Any hidden talents? 

A:
Not much time left to be honest and not really hidden talents. When I’m free I just love to relax with family and friends, going out, spending most of the time at the beach, BBQs and so on. A very normal life.

Q:
What can we expect from Giuseppe Ottaviani in the near and distant future? 

A:
Now that Go On Air has been released I finally had the chance to start working on my new artist album. Only one track is done and there is a lot to do, but hopefully I will be able to release it not too late. Beside that I have a new collaboration coming up on Betsie Larkin album, it’s called Toys and we are looking to release it as a single in the near future, so keep an eye at www.giuseppeottaviani.com and www.facebook.com/giuseppeottaviani 



Thank you and all the best, 

Giuseppe

1 comments:

Wow jou Blog is goed gedoen.
Goeie inhoud ook: goeie onderhoude.

Luister nou na Giuseppe op Beatport.
Hou so aan!

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More