Advertising

The Sound of Garuda: Mixed By Gareth Emery

Bjorn Akesson Interview


We chat to Bjorn Akesson about Engineering, Tennis & just a little Trance...





Q:
Bjorn is quite a common name in your part of the world… with which of these Bjorn’s can you relate better and why… Bjorn Borg (Tennis Champion) or Bjorn Ulvaeus (ABBA)?

A:
Definitely Bjorn Borg, I'm going for #1 too and love to win! Also to mention I love sports and competition.

Q:
Scandinavia seems to be the breeding ground for all that is truly great in the world of Trance music these days, with artists like Super8 & Tab, Daniel Kandi, Paavo Siljamaki (P.O.S ,Above & Beyond) Boom Jinx and yourself of course leading the charge, how long do you think it’ll be before a Scandinavian DJ makes it to the number one spot on DJ Mag’s annual poll and who do you think it will be?

A:
Probably a few more years, we do have the Swedish house mafia going strong, so I think any of those will reach number one if any.

Q:
Your track "Painting Pyramids" was one of the most played tracks during Armin Van Buuren’s ASOT 500 celebrations, is there a specific meaning behind the song’s title, or a connection to the fact that it was released on Egyptian duo Aly & Fila’s label "Future sound of Egypt?

A:
Being released on Future Sound of Egypt does not really have anything to do with it, I'm doing my thing no matter what label I release on. I wanted the use an interesting name that would fit the track and since it has an Egyptian touch to it I found a suitable title on that basis. I wanted to use the word pyramid and ended up thinking it would be fun to use a title that's a bit odd and uniqe.

Q:
Sweden is quite famous for it’s Pop music as well as quite a host of Metal music, is there an alternative world where you would have liked to be part of a Metal Band or Pop sensation , or has it always been Trance Music for you?

A:
It hasn't really all been trance music for me, I grew up with drum'n'bass, electro and techno music before I really got into trance. I'm not sure if I would ever try being a part of a metal band but I do love some of it so you never know. Pop music is more interesting though, not closing any doors on it, I would certainly consider producing pop music for other artists.

Q:
You don’t seem to be big on collaborations with other artists, are there any specific artists or vocalists you would like to work with in future or do you prefer working on your own?

A:
I do prefer working in my own, but I do like collaborating with other artists. It would be tons of fun making a track together with Skrillex, whatever that would end up sounding like.

Q:
What is your production process? What inspires you? And what do you use to produce with? are you a hardware or software man?

A:
These days I'm working 100% with software for my solo productions, I'm using Cubase with various VST instruments. It's really hard to describe the process, it just happens really.

Q:
.Having been on stages all around the world, where are the best and worst gigs you’ve ever played?

A:
I have to say that my favourite gigs this year is a tie between digital society in Leeds and Luminosity in Amsterdam. Crowd was amazing on both nights and I got to meet so many new nice people, was so much fun. Also my set flew by really smooth on both nights. I've played some lousy gigs in sweden in my early days, I think that's very normal for the first gigs in every dj's career.

Q:
Where would we find "Bjorn Akesson", when he isn’t DJ’ing or producing music? Do you have any hidden talents, hobbies or passions?

A:
I'm currently finishing my engineering studies so mostly you will find me at the university. Other than that I enjoy going out with my friends, going to the gym, play soccer or just watch a movie.

Q:
Is there a specific track that always seems to find a place in your sets? Something you never leave for a gig without? Something that just works every time?

A:
I always play my track "Perfect Blue" for being my break-through track!

Q:
What can we expect from Bjorn Akesson In the near and distant future?

A:
Anything!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More