Advertising

The Sound of Garuda: Mixed By Gareth Emery

Lazy Rich Interview




We Chat To Lazy Rich about Maple Syrup, The Future of Electro and find out just why he's so lazy... 
Q:
As one of Dance Music’s hardest working DJ’s... It’s quite Ironic that you call yourself “Lazy Rich”, I’m assuming of course that your parents didn’t have a look at you and thought “Let’s call him lazy”... where did the name come from?


A:
It's from the track by x-press 2, ages before I remixed it I did a bootleg version of it, and basically decided the name 'Lazy Rich' worked pretty well (my dj name before that was AWFUL, although I'm not telling anyone what it was).


Q:
You’re currently one of the Scene’s freshest and most recognized DJ’s... Where did it all start for you? Has it always been the Electro sound people know you for now?


A:
Yeah when I started producing electro was really popular so it was an obvious choice, but before that I used to DJ funky house.


Q:
You've recently remixed Fatboy Slim’s Classic Weapon of Choice, how did this come about?


A:
I did a bootleg of the track 'Lazy' by X-press 2, which I sent to Skint and they decided to release. I kept bugging them for new projects and eventually they gave me the parts for Weapon of Choice.

Q:
Any artists you would love to Remix?


A:
I'd love to have a go at a Wolfgang track, just because I think there would be some amazing parts to use, he uses some really original sounds. Other than that I'm actually going through some old funky house tracks right now, picking out some that might be good to remix, I used to love labels like Defected and Swing City, so I think I might take a crack at them.


Q:
You've gone from a country very well known for it’s Dance Music, and decided to move to country
Best known for Maple syrup, Ice Hockey, Celine Dion and more recently Pioneer DJ/Producer Deadmau5... Why the big change?

A:
Not for the music actually, I just came to Canada for 6 months but liked it so decided to stay. I've been here for 5 years now and still enjoy it, but I think I would be happy to live anywhere I can make music.


Q:
How would you compare the Scene in the UK compared to Canada and the ever Growing American Scene?


A:
I don't actually play in the UK very often so I don’t know too much about the scene there nowadays, but Im hoping to play there later this year. The scene in the states is quite strange I find, there are some amazing huge parties, but I find the crowd can be hard work sometimes.


Q:
The “Electro” sound has evolved and changed quite a bit from the original 80’s sound to the “Electro House” we know today... with it now being incorporated into all forms of Dance music from House – Trance & Beyond... where do you see Electro going in the Future...


A:
I really don't know to be honest. It seems to be flying off in all sorts of different directions now, and even the straight old-school type electro is coming back with Dirtyloud really taking control of the charts right now. I'd love to see electro staying strong for a good few years yet.


Q:
The Best Gig you’ve played so far?

A:
I really enjoyed Club Heaven in Korea, and Ad-Sutra in Brazil was insane, playing to 10,000 people is a huge buzz.

Q:
The Worst Gig you’ve played so far?


A:
I played a festival in Portland recently that was pretty terrible, unorganised people shouldn't throw parties.

Q:
Any Embarrassing DJ stories?


A:
None that I want to share :)


Q:
What are your current top 3 tracks?

A:
01.Porter Robinson - Say My Name
02.Lazy Rich feat Lizzie Curious - Get Out (Keemerah Remix)
03.Chrizz Luvly - How We Roll

Q:
Any tracks you never go to a gig without? Something that works every time?


A:
Anything by Miles Dyson is a dead cert, but the all time get out of jail free track is Jeff T's remix of Electric Boogaloo.

Q:
What is playing in your IPOD/Mp3 Player/Car Radio at the moment?

A:
My latest mix www.lazy-rich.com/lazy-rich.mp3

Q:
If DJ’ing had not worked out for you the way it has, what would you be doing now?


A:
I would be a programmer - I still do a lot of programming nowadays, I make tools for record labels - www.label-engine.com


Q:
lastly what can we look forward to from you in the near future and any last words?

A:
Tons of new remixes, tours of Europe, Asia and Australia, and hopefully big things for the radio show. Be sure to tune in on www.di.fm the third thursday of each month. Thanks to everyone that has been playing / buying / listening / dancing to my tracks

Cheers,

Rich.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More